Flapjacks always seem like the healthy option, even when they are covered in chocolate!But they are nice with a cup of coffee, good in the lunch box. So I thought I would add a little zing to an old favourite, hence Zesty Flapjacks!
What you will need for your Zesty Flapjacks
- 5oz (140g) Scottish Porridge Oats ( small oats)
- 5oz (140g) Whole Rolled Oats ( larger oats)
Tip: using both types of oats gives you a more substansial flapjack
- 6oz (175g) Butter
- 60z (175g) Soft Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Golden Syrup
- Zest of a Lemon
- Zest of an Orange
- 50g melted chocolate to drizzle when cool (optional)
- Melt your butter, sugar and syrup together
- Zest your orange and lemon and add to your oats
- Now add your melted mix to the oats, mix well
- Line a baking tray and then grease the lining ( this will mean you can take your flapjacks out easily) standard baking tray (7″x11″ or 17.5cm x 27.5 cm), fill with your mixture and press down with the back of a spoon
- Bake at 160 deg C,325 deg F, Gas Mark 3 for approx 25minutes until golden brown (times may vary depending on your oven).
- As they cool score with a sharp knife, this make them easier to cut into peices
- When cool drizzle with melted chocolate
Tip: When you take your flapjacks from the oven they will not be firm to touch, they will firm up as they cool down
With Sport Relief happening in March this would make a good tray bake for a cake sale
Do you think you might just bake these? Do let me know how it goes.
Take care and thank you for reading
Till next time