There can be very few things nicer than the smell of baking bread, ok eating it may just win!
This is my recipe for yeast free homemade soda bread, this bread can have as many variations as you want – so a really great recipe and one that you can be creative with and have lots of fun trying out your ideas.
So the basic recipe for my Homemade bread is:
Katie’s Yeast Free Homemade Soda Bread
- 450g (1lb) Wholemeal Flour
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 320 – 340ml Milk ( also works with Soya Milk)
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- Set your oven to 200 degC /400 deg F/ Gas Mark 6
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate, and salt together
- Rub in the butter until the mix resembles breadcrumbs
- Measure out your milk and add the lemon juice to the milk
- Make a well in the centre of your flour and pour in the first 300mls of your milk, now mix in together to form a wet dough (your dough should be wet beut not sticky it should ‘clean’ the bowl) if necessary add more of your milk until your dough acheives the right consistency
- Now place your dough on a floured surface, make into one large round loaf, using a wooden spoon to make a cross in the middle of your loaf
- You can also make your dough into smaller loaves or rolls
- Place in the oven and bake for approx 40 minutes, turn over your loaf and bake for a further 10 minutes approx. When you tap your loaf on the bottom it should give a hollow sound.
Variations on a theme
Now as I said you can have fun with this one, just before you add your milk try adding some
- Sunflower seeds, you can also roll the finished loaf in Sunflower seeds, make it crunchy on top
- Chopped Apples – sprinkle the top with brown sugar for a sweet variation
- Olives or perhaps some . . .
- Sundried tomatoes or maybe even . .
- Rosemary or a mix of herbs or then again . . .
The choice is yours – what will you add – let me know
Till next time
Take care and thank you for reading