Damsons are in abundance this year, they were out early and still on the trees.
Damson Jam I love but I dont like the stones in it and I dont have time to take all of the stones out when I am making Damson Jam, so what to do . . .
How to make Damson Jam – with no stones
When making Damson Jam or jam of any kind you need to know the weight of the fruit to calculate the amount of sugar. I use 900g of Jam sugar to 1kg of fruit.
- 2kg of Damsons
- 1.8 kg of Jam Sugar
- Juice of Lemon
- Place 3 plates in the fridge
- Rinse your Damsons and place your Damsons in a large pot with sufficient water to cover the bottom of the pan, ( the more water the less flavoursome) gently cook until the fruit is softened and the stones are rising to the top.
- Now remove from heat and strain the fruit and jucie through a large holed colander. I appreciate not the usual method, however if the holes are large eneough you get all of the pulp and the juice just none of the stones or the skin.
- Once strained replace your pan on the heat and add sugar, now you need to keep stirring until all of the sugar has dissolved and gently bring to the boil.
- Boil for 10 – 15 minutes until your jam starts to set – a jam thermometer is a good investment you then know that your jam is hot eneough. Test by placing a teaspoonful onto a cold plate, place back in the fridge, check after a few minutes – if set it will wrinkle when you draw you finger down it.
- If it has not set continue to boil – you may at this point add a the juice of your lemon , this will help it to set.
- Once set place in sterilised jars and seal when it is still hot.
Enjoy your Damson Jam – Happy Jam making
Take care and thank you for reading