Autumn is a fantastic time for cooking – the garden has produced so much over the summer. Beetroot is one of my favourite veges, it is grown with abundance in the garden and I am always trying to think of recipes for it. Beetroot is great as a vege to accompany many dishes but a chutney is always to hand. So here is my recipe for Beetroot Chutney.
What you will need to make Beetroot Chutney
- 1.5kg ( 3lbs) Beetroot
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 Cooking Apple
- 360g (12oz) Light Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Ginger
- Salt to taste
- 0.5 litre (1 pint) Vinegar
- Cook beetroot, chop and dice
- Chop and dice onion, and apple
- To a large pan add the beetroot, onion, apple, sugar, ginger, salt and vinegar
- Stir until sugar has melted and cook until all the ingredients are soft
- Your chutney is ready- bottle into sterilised jars. Beetroot Chutney can be eaten with bread and cheese, salads, meats in fact whatever way you choose.
Have fun and enjoy using the produce your garden has produced over the summer months
Dont forget you can store chutneys in a cool place for months, not only that pop a cover on the lid add a ribbon and there you have a very lovely homemade Christmas present.
Take care and thank you for reading