One of the great things about this Chocolate Christmas Log – and there are many ! – is that it is gluten free.
- 175g dark chocolate
- 2 table spoons cocoa powder
- 175g caster sugar
- 6 free range eggs – you will need to separate the yolks from the white
For the Filling
- 500ml double cream – lightly whipped
you will need a swiss roll tin 13″x9″ and baking parchment
- Set your oven to 180 deg C / 350 deg F / gas 4
- Melt the chocolate, this can be done in the microwave or on the the hob. Place the chocolate in a heat proof bowl, place over a pan of gently boiling water and stir the chocolate as it melts. Allow to cool slightly before using
- Whisk the egg yolks and the sugar together and stir in the melted chocolate
- Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff
- Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mix
- Line your swiss roll tin with baking parchment and add the mixture to the tin, shake gently to ensure that the mix is evenly spread and the corners are filled.
- Bake for 20 minutes
- You will know that the cake is baked, the edges will have just started to come away from the sides of the tin. Take out of the oven, leave in the tin and place a damp tea towel over your bake.
- Leave for a few hours. Now turn out your cake onto a large sheet of baking parchment, peel off the lining paper.
- Spread the lightly whipped cream, leave approx 2 cm at the far end of your cake
- On the short side nearest to you, score the cake, about 2 cm from the edge and start to roll. The cake will crack, but it does add to the character of the finished log. Once rolled dust with icing sugar and decorate with holly for the total Christmas affect.