The first time you make it give yourself plenty of time, it is one of those desserts that does need time to cool once it has come out of the oven. So here we go . .
Katie’s Lemon Meringue
What you will need:
- 1/2lb (250g) shortcrust pastry ( or sweet pastry)
For the Filling
- 4oz(125g) Castor Sugar
- 10 floz (300ml) Water
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Finely grated Lemon Zest
- 2oz (50g) butter
- 2tsp cornflour
- 4med (3 large) Free Range Egg Yolks
For the Meringue
- 4 med (3 large) Free Range Egg Whites
- 2oz (50g) Castor Sugar
How to do it
This is where I admit to cheating (only slightly) by telling I buy ready made pastry, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, sometimes we want to make something really nice but just dont always have eneough time! I will give you in a later post the pastry recipe that I have.
- Grease your flan dish and then take your ready prepared pastry and roll it out to fit your flan dish, make sure that you push it gently down to ensure the perfect fit. It should fit up and over the sides, trim off any excess.
- Prick the bottom of your dough and bake blind (on its own) for 15mins (oven temp 190 deg C, 375 deg F or Gas mark 5). You can also fill with ‘baking beans’ to keep it from rising
Making the filling
- Put the water, sugar, lemon juice, 1/2 the rind and butter into a pan and gently bring to just below boiling, give it a stir to ensure the sugar doesn’t stick
- Mix the cornflour with a little water and add to the pan, stirring constantly your mixture should now be thick and smooth – tip taste and determine if you need more lemon juice, up to you
- Remove the pan from the heat allow to cool for a few minutes and then beat in your egg yolks, one at a time
- Spoon your lemon mix into your pastry case, allow to cool slightly before adding meringue
Making the meringue
- Beat the egg whites until they stand in stiff, add your sugar a little at a time, your mixture will start to turn stiff and glossy
- Spoon onto your lemon pie ensure that the meringue is up to the pastry
- Put into a preheated oven of 180 deg C, 350 deg F, Gas Mark 4, bake for 10 – 15 minutes until your meringue has turned golden.
- Decorate with the half of lemon zest saved from earlier
The consistency of the meringue in this pie is crisp on the outside, soft on the inside. Once cooked allow to cool for 2 – 3 hours this allows the lemon filling time to set.
Serve with scoops of soflty whipped cream and enjoy!
Tip: This recipe is my quantities for and 8in (20cm ) flan dish, for a 10inch (25cm) I add half as much again and for a 12inch (30cm) dish I double the quantities
This is my dessert for All Seasons!! Have a try and let me know how you get on
Till next time, take care and thank you for reading
Katie x www.katiecraig.co.uk