I realized that I haven’t posted a recipe for a rather longer than I would have liked kind of time! This has not been due to not picking up a whisk or turning on a mixer – its just a plain and simple time issue, not having enough time to do everything that I would like and having to spend time doing all the things that aren’t quite so exciting.
So to remedy that I am baking a Lemon Cake or even a Lemon and Poppy Seed Cake with a Butter Cream Filling and with half term in sight this would be a good one for on of those picnics when the sun is shining and life is in the slow lane – or maybe just for a picnic!!!
Lemon and Poppy Seed Cake with Butter Cream Filling
- 8oz (220g) SR flour
- 6oz (170g) Caster Sugar
- 6oz (170g) Butter / non dairy spread
- 3 Free Range Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Turn the oven to 180 deg C, 350 deg F, Gas 4
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add the flour eggs, vanilla essence, baking powder, lemon zest and juice using a wooden spoon or a mixer mix in until creamy
- Scatter the poppy seed on top of the mix and gently fold in make sure they are evenly distributed
- Place your mix into an 8 inch (20 cm) deep tin that has been lightly greased, bake for 20 – 25 minutes on the middle shelf
You will know that your cake is ready when
- It is golden brown
- Gently touch the top and it will feel springy
- Tap the bottom of the tin and it will sound hollow
- It will very slightly be shrinking from the sides of the tin
How to Make the Butter Cream Filling
- 3oz (85g) Butter
- 6oz (170g) Icing Sugar
- 1 tblsp Milk
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Beat the butter to soften
- Add the icing sugar and beat, add the milk and beat until smooth
When your cake has cooled, cut in half and generously spread with 3/4 of the butter cream, use the 1/4 to spread on top and decorate with the lemon zest.
The only thing left to say is ENJOY!!
Have a great day and thank you for reading