This is certainly one for ‘Something for the weekend’ Now whilst my family love a roast dinner, regardless of the season I like to serve it a little bit different in the summer. So this is my crispy roast chicken with thyme and lemon for a hint of spring and summer.
This recipe is simple to do, but it does require slow gentle cooking. The prize for being so patient is chicken with crispy tasty skin, and tender succulent meat that will fall away from the bone.
I used a whole chicken, but you could use chicken quarters just as easily.
What you need for crispy roast chicken:
- 1 free range chicken
- 1 tablespoon Thyme chopped
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
Preheat your oven 180 deg C/ 350 deg F/ gas 4
- Take your chicken rinse and dry it, it is important that you dry off the skin, gently loosen the skin away from the body – (but leave it in place)
- Mix the butter and half of your thyme, now rub the butter mix over the skin, sprinkle the rest of the thyme, sprinkle with salt, and pepper.
- Cut your 1/2 lemon in half and stuff inside the chicken.
- Place in an oven proof dish, pop in the oven uncovered and cook for approx 60 minutes. (the cooking time will depend on the size of your chicken).
- Remove from the oven leave to rest for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Pull your chicken apart and serve on a large plate with roasted new potatoes with garlic, roasted red peppers, fresh bread and a green salad.
The only thing you have to do now is ENJOY!
Have a fabulous weekend,