The apples are ready, so cooking is all about apples, chutneys, muffins and puddings.
Apples Day 1 is Apple and Cinnamon Crunch. My granny used to make this in fact the recipe for the Apple Crunch Muffins on Wednesday also comes from Granny, with just a bit of a twist from me!
Apple and Cinnamon Crunch really couldn’t be easier so here goes . . .
What you will need:
- 6 large apples peeled and chopped (I used one for each person plus a bit extra!)
- Orange Juice
- 2 teaspoons of Cinnamon
- 2 Cloves
For the Crunch topping
- 4oz (120g) Flour
- 4oz (120g) Butter
- 2oz (60g) Light Brown Sugar
- 2oz (60g) Rolled Oats
- 1oz (30g) Flaked Almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- First of all make your crunch topping. . . Into a bowl add the flour and butter and rub the butter into the flour until you have a mix that resembles bread crumbs.
- Now add the sugar, cinnamon, oats and almonds and stir to mix all your ingredients
- Spred onto a baking tray and place in the oven 180 deg C / 350 deg F/ Gas mark 4 for 10 – 15 mins until golden brown
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool slightly you wil have a crumble, which you can break into peices
- Whilst your crunch topping is in the oven peel apples and chop roughly place in a pan with sufficient orange juice to cover the bottom of the pan. Use what ever apples you have available if using cooking apples then add sugar, cinnamon and cloves to taste, if using dessert / eating apples you may not want to add any sugar
- Cook until the apples are soft ( approx 10 minutes) the cook time will depend on your apples
- Serve your apples into individual dishes and place the crunch on top
There you are Apple and Cinnmaon Crunch. Quick, easy and very tasty. Let me know how you do – what will you serve it with, thickly whipped cream, ice cream, custard – tell me how.
Till next time and thank you for reading